Venue: Gordon Room, Worthing Town Hall
Contact: Chris Cadman-Dando
Democratic Services Officer
01903 221364 Email: email@example.com
Declarations of Interest / Substitute Members
Members and Officers must declare any disclosable pecuniary interests in relation to any business on the agenda. Declarations should also be made at any stage an interest becomes apparent during the meeting.
If in doubt contact the Legal or Democratic Services representative for this meeting.
There were no declarations of interest
Public Question Time
To receive any questions from Members of the public in accordance with Standing Order 11.2
(Note: Public Question Time will operate for a maximum of 30 minutes.)
There were no questions from members of the public
To consider a report by the Director for Communities, copy attached as item 3
Before the sub committee was a report by the Director for Communities, a copy of which was circulated to all members, a copy of which is attached to the signed copy of these minutes as item 3.
Presenting Officer outlines application
The Presenting Officer introduced the report to the Committee and set out the background to the case. With regards to mediation members were told that the applicant had volunteered to accept suggested conditions from the Police. There were still representations from residents and environmental health that remained outstanding.
Questions from Members from the presenting Officer
A Member asked if mediation had taken place between the applicant and residents making representations. The presenting officers told members that mediation with a large number of residents would prove impractical and difficult.
Representation from Resident A
Resident A made a representation which is summarised as follows:
· The resident’s main concern was the potential nuisance caused by noise;
· Plans for the karaoke rooms showed that they were situated on a wall adjacent to the entrance way to the ‘back flat’;
· The hours being applied for were too late and 23:00hrs was more suitable;
· The premises lacked a lobby so it would be difficult for the premises to stop noise escaping, the resident also mentioned that the premises only had single glazing;
· There would be noise outside the premises with smokers congregating and cabs arriving to pick people up.
Questions for Resident A
A Member asked a question about the location of the planned karaoke booths. There were no questions from the applicant.
Representation from Resident B
Resident B made the following representation which is summarised as follows:
· The resident told members that she lived further up the street and was concerned about the noise created by patrons leaving the premises;
· It was stated that noise from patrons leaving the premises and walking home could not be mitigated
Questions for Resident B
Resident B was questioned by members on other premises in the area. There were no questions from the applicant.
Representation from representative of Resident C
The representative for resident C made a representation which is summarised as follows
· The resident was very concerned about the application;
· He owned the property above the premises and his tenants had been expressing concerns;
· The application would have a detrimental effect on the people wishing to live there including a potential to harm children who may live above the premises;
· There was currently a planning restriction
· Planned karaoke was a noisy enterprise and it was difficult to consider what soundproofing could be installed to make it effective;
Questions for the representative of Resident C
There were no questions for the representative of Resident C from any party.
Representation from environmental protection
The representative from environmental protection made a representation which is summarised as follows
· There were residential properties above and adjacent to the premises;
· There was potential for public nuisance;
· There were other similar premises within the vicinity, however these premises did not have properties above them; ... view the full minutes text for item LCCB/6/19-20