DECISIONS CAN BE IMPLEMENTED AT 5PM ON THE DAY THAT A CALL-IN EXPIRES. DECISIONS MAY BE ENACTED AFTER 5PM ON THE DAY PRIOR TO THE DATE INDICATED BELOW IN THE 'EFFECTIVE FROM' COLUMN
Decision Maker: Joint Strategic Sub-Committee (Adur)
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Before the Committee was a report by the Director for Place, copies of which had been circulated to all Members and a copy of which is attached to the signed copy of these minutes as Item 11.
The purpose of the report before members was to seek authorisation to procure services to deliver a bespoke business support package (BSP) across Adur and Worthing. To note, this is a joint programme of support with Worthing Borough Council. The report signalled the rationale for the support package and outlined how a number of funded regional business support programmes are coming to an end, leaving a gap in provision for businesses seeking information, advice and guidance relating to business issues including how to achieve business growth.
Members were provided with assurance that the business support package was being developed as part of measures to help local businesses grow and contribute to the growth of the local economy. Specific areas to 109 Agenda Item 11 support businesses include innovation, sustainability, leadership and management and start up / micro business advice. The report indicated the preferred method of pooling external funding sources to deliver the business support package, including the utilisation of UK Shared Prosperity Funding (UKSPF) and S106 contributions, specifically referencing economic development or business support.
Members were pleased to see the introduction of the scheme and that the resources provided were a good way to support businesses. Members noted that there would be monthly feedback reports from consultants and quarterly reports to the UKSPF and asked to see quarterly feedback reports to monitor the effectiveness of the scheme.
The Adur Sub Committee of the Joint Strategic Committee
1) Notes the business support landscape and the current limitations regarding resources currently available for start ups, micro, small, medium and large businesses;
2) Approves the release and pooling of external funding pots to deliver the Business Support Package, including UK Shared Prosperity Funding, Pooled Business Rates and Section 106 monies;
3) Approves the creation of a budget of £470,500 across Adur District Council and Worthing Borough Council for the specific purposes as outlined in this report;
4) Delegates authority to the Director for Place, in consultation with the Executive Member for Resources (Worthing) and Executive Member for Regeneration & Strategic Planning (Adur), the authority to approve and award contracts for the staff / consultancy work required to deliver the Business Support Package, subject to the development of a procurement strategy and the outcome of a compliant procurement process; and ensuring that the overall programme is within the authorised budget;
5) Requests that updates on the performance of the scheme are provided quarterly
The call-in deadline for the decision will be 5.00pm on Monday 9 October 2023.
Report author: Assistant Director Place & Economy (CLT)
Publication date: 02/10/2023
Date of decision: 27/09/2023
Decided at meeting: 27/09/2023 - Joint Strategic Sub-Committee (Adur)
Effective from: 10/10/2023