Venue: Remote - via Zoom
Contact: Katy McMullan
Democratic Services Officer
01903 221364 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Declarations of Interest / Substitute Members
Members and Officers must declare any disclosable pecuniary interests in relation to any business on the agenda. Declarations should also be made at any stage an interest becomes apparent during the meeting.
If in doubt contact the Legal or Democratic Services representative for this meeting.
Cllr Russ Cochran declared that he held his street surgery in Castle Ward at which people had raised the subject of this application. He declared that he had not commented on the application as he was unaware of it.
There were no substitutes.
Public Question Time
To receive any questions from Members of the public in accordance with Standing Order 11.2.
(Note: Public Question Time will operate for a maximum of 30 minutes.)
There were no questions from members of the public.
Licensing Act 2003 – Application for a new Premises Licence. PDF 3 MB
To consider a report by the Director for Communities, copy attached as item 3.
Before the Sub-Committee was a report by the Director for Communities, which has been circulated to all Members.
Presenting Officer outlined the application
The Licensing Officer outlined the application before members. Members were advised that the application had been the subject of formal representation by one responsible authority, the Police and 3 members of the public. The Officer clarified that the Police had withdrawn their representation given that the applicant had agreed to amend the hours requested and other additional conditions suggested by the Police.
The applicant’s agent confirmed that the Licensing Officer had provided an accurate outline of the application.
Questions from Members for the presenting Officer
There was none.
Representation from Resident
The representor addressed issues including:
· The amount of theft from shops in this area at present, particularly involving young people
· Concerns that another retail establishment selling cigarettes and alcohol would exacerbate the problem
· The police already appear to be struggling to cope with enforcement in that area.
· Concerns that to keep up with competition the applicants store will be less than diligent in observing the laws on selling cigarettes and alcohol
Questions from Members for the Resident
There were none.
Questions from Applicant for the Resident
There were none.
Representation from the Applicant’s Agent.
The applicant’s agent made a representation which is summarised as follows:
· The applicant had five years’ experience of running similar establishments
· The applicant intended to employ four or five staff for the store
· Spirits were to be kept behind the counter and the premises had a small interior room which would be used to house the rest of the alcohol for sale. This was hoped to reduce theft of alcohol
· The applicant intended to take measures to observe the licensing objectives including protecting children from harm by adopting the “Challenge 25” policy and asking for the recommended ID when necessary
· The applicant planned to ensure all staff were fully trained in the lawful selling of age restricted products
· The application hours had been reduced as per the Sussex Police’s recommendation
Questions from Members to the Applicant.
Members had questions for the applicant regarding:
· The planned layout of the store and if Premier Store had had an input in that plan
· Concerns that the planned alcohol sales area was next to a back door and that this may encourage shoplifting
· The type and size of CCTV system the applicant planned to install
· Whether the applicant had performed any market research in the area and had that been at the relevant times of day as per the objections of residents
· How often the DPS, who was also the applicant, would be visiting the store
· The DPS’s commute time from their home
· Was alcohol delivery part of the business plan and how much of this type of business was the applicant expecting
The applicant and the agent addressed these queries as follows:
· The applicant had planned the store layout with an input from Premier Store
· A comprehensive CCTV system was planned to cope with any ... view the full minutes text for item LCSC/13/22-23