Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Gordon Room, Stoke Abbott Road, Worthng Town Hall

Contact: Chris Cadman-Dando
Democratic Services Officer
01903 221364  Email: chris.cadman-dando@adur-worthing.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

JOSC/56/19-20

Declaration of Interests

Members and officers must declare any disclosable pecuniary interests in relation to

any business on the agenda. Declarations should also be made at any stage such

an interest becomes apparent during the meeting.

 

If in doubt contact the Legal or Democratic Services representative for this meeting.

Minutes:

There were no declarations made

JOSC/57/19-20

Substitute Members

Minutes:

There were no substitutions

JOSC/58/19-20

Confirmation of Minutes

To approve the minutes of the Joint Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting of

held on 21 November 2019, copies of which have been previously circulated.

Minutes:

Resolved: that the minutes of the meeting of the 21 November 2019 be confirmed as the correct record

JOSC/59/19-20

Public Question Time

So as to provide the best opportunity for the Committee to provide the public with the fullest answer, questions from the public should be submitted by 12.00pm Tuesday 28 January 2020

 

Where relevant notice of a question has not been given, the person presiding may either choose to give a response at the meeting or respond by undertaking to provide a written response within three working days.

 

Questions should be submitted to Democratic Services democratic.services@adur-worthing.gov.uk

 

(Note: Public Question Time will operate for a maximum of 30 minutes.)

Minutes:

There were no questions

JOSC/60/19-20

Items Raised Under Urgency Provisions

To consider any items the Chairman of the meeting considers to be urgent

Minutes:

There were no urgent items

JOSC/61/19-20

Consideration of any matter referred to the Committee in relation to a call-in of a decision

Minutes:

There had been no call-in received

JOSC/62/19-20

Southern Water Bathing Water quality results pdf icon PDF 142 KB

To consider a report by the Director for Digital and Resources, copy attached as item 7

Minutes:

The Committee had a report before it attached as item 7,  a copy of which had been circulated to all Members, a copy of which is attached to a signed copy of these minutes. The report before members provided background to the Committee to assist the scrutiny of the results of the Adur and Worthing 2019 bathing water quality monitoring. Representatives from Southern Water were present to answer questions.

 

Representatives from Southern Water made a presentation, the slides from which are attached to a signed copy of these minutes.

 

A Member asked about the process of misconnection and how it could be prevented. A representative from Southern Water told the Committee that it was a challenging issue. There were discussions ongoing with colleagues from different bodies which included ideas around making sure ‘check a trade’ affiliates were aware of how to connect to the correct sewer.

 

A Member asked if it were possible to have an additional testing site in East Worthing. Members were told that there could be one but it would need to be agreed with the Environment Agency and DEFRA.

 

A Member asked when it was expected that Worthing’s bathing water quality could be designated as excellent? Members were told that 2021 was the target and the reason for this was the way in which the data was assessed (over a four year period).

 

A Member asked the following question:  Bearing in mind the importance of misconnections, could we have a numerical update of how many, if any, owners still need to rectify their misconnections? Members were told that results were being monitored closely. A lot of money had been invested but if there was a high priority resources could be diverted. Grant money from Southern Water had allowed Adur and Worthing to put into place extra dog patrols and other measures.

 

A Member asked the following question: This is good work, I also understand dog poo is being washed in via roadside gullies, what work is being done with WSCC here re: ‘sea starts here’ campaigns or similar? Members were told that gulleys had been cleansed although that did not prevent more people picking up after their dogs. Responsible communications and public engagement could be carried out to highlight the impact of people’s behaviour.

 

A Member asked what percentage of non-human waste taken from samples could be attributed to dogs. Members were told that the information would be provided as it wasn’t available to hand. Members discussed the matter of dog fouling further and were told of the possibility that beach wardens could be authorised to hand out fixed penalty notices.

 

A Member asked how many properties there were with misconnections. Members were told that the only way to really know was to have greater resources to monitor the situation. Members discussed the matter and resolved to write to the Southern Water Chief Executive to request additional resources in this area.

 

A Member asked if there was a power to give penalties to companies found  ...  view the full minutes text for item JOSC/62/19-20

JOSC/63/19-20

Delivering Platforms for our Places - Final Progress report July to December 2019 pdf icon PDF 135 KB

To consider a report by the Director for Digital and Resources, copy attached as item 8

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee had a report before it attached as item 8, a copy of which had been circulated to all Members, a copy of which is attached to a signed copy of these minutes. The report before Members provided the final six monthly report informing the Committee on the Councils’ progress against the commitments and objectives set out in Platforms for our Places. 

 

The Chief Executive introduced the report to the Committee and provided an overview of progress made to the end of the Platforms for Places programme

 

A Member asked the following question:  In terms of our town centres, the document provided said “the visual signals of progress are all around” because major developments are underway and we are building. It notes promoting the vitality and distinctiveness of our town centres. To what extent has Platforms delivered vitality to our various town centres? Members were told that there had been significant work in town centres across Adur and Worthing. The retail economy had been changing fast. The HMRC building would be occupied by the end of the year bringing 800-900 jobs to the town centre.  Other things included sponsoring new activities in town centres, making improvements to the public realm; improving car parks, securing visitor attractions such as the Big Wheel; and in areas such as Lancing, working with local landlords and businesses to support new activities in vacant spaces.

 

A Member asked the following question: A future focus of our social economies is the development of a new housing strategy. Bearing in mind the range of issues we have that restrict capacity to provide affordable housing for people, not least the issue of available to space to build, can we have a sense of how this strategy will differ from, and build upon, the previous strategy to address this issue? Members were told that the issue was a difficult one and schemes were detailed for members such as housing related wellbeing and support, better homes - stronger communities and increasing the housing supply. Members were informed that the Councils had recently been shortlisted for an award for the ‘opening doors’ scheme

 

 

A Member asked the following question: Paragraph 4.6.2 of the December JSC report notes progressing efforts to manage our natural environment. The controversial removal of shrubbery from the south side of Beach House Park suggests a loss to the air quality and character of the park. In hindsight would public consultation have been valuable before making this decision and does it have implications for the strategic management of our parks going forward? Members were told that a consultation had been carried out with key stakeholders. There had been competing views as to the issue and the park and it was not possible to meet the expectations and desires of all consultees. The parks team were keen to establish a ‘friends of’ group for the park to enable wider engagement.

 

A Member asked the following question: What role has the public had in Platform for our Places and  ...  view the full minutes text for item JOSC/63/19-20

JOSC/64/19-20

Referral of Motion on Notice pdf icon PDF 124 KB

To consider a report by the Director for Communities, copy attached as item 9

Minutes:

The Committee had a report before it attached as item 9, a copy of which had been circulated to all Members, a copy of which is attached to a signed copy of these minutes. The report before Members set out a motion referred for the Committees attention from a full meeting of Worthing Council.

 

Councillor Bob Smytherman introduced his motion to the Committee and it was agreed that the matter be referred to the work programme through the committee’s procedure so that it could be assessed through the same criteria as other subjects.

 

Resolved: that the matter be submitted to the committee through the Committee work programme protocol

JOSC/65/19-20

Joint Overview and Scrutiny Committee Work Programme 2019/20 - Update pdf icon PDF 150 KB

To consider a report by the Director for Digital and Resources, copy attached as item 10

Minutes:

The Committee had a report before it, attached as item 10, a copy of which had been circulated to all Members, a copy of which is attached to the signed copy of these minutes. The report outlined progress with the Committee’s Work Programme for 2019/20

 

The Adur Chairman told the Committee that he intended to propose the reinstatement of  interviews with Executive Members for the Committees 2020/21 Work Programme

 

            Resolved: that the work programme be noted

 

 

All Adur Members except Councillor Stephen Chipp left the meeting at 8.45pm

JOSC/66/19-20

Worthing Borough Council - Budget Estimates 2020/21 and Setting of 2020/21 Council Tax pdf icon PDF 431 KB

To consider a report by the Director for Digital and Resources, copy attached as item 11

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee had a report before it, attached as item 11, a copy of which had been circulated to all Members, a copy of which is attached to the signed copy of these minutes. The report before Members set out the final budgeting report of the year, the culmination of the annual budgeting exercise, and ask members to consider.

 

The Chief Financial Officer introduced the report to the Committee and presented the

 

A Member asked the following question: Assuming the possible annual 2% Council Tax increase and identified savings won’t make up the overall shortfalls identified on agenda page 60, how will the predicted shortfalls be met? Will it be the three benefits of an improving economy outlined on agenda page 78? Members were told that chapter 6 of the report before members detailed the expected impact of budget initiatives.  There were still some savings to be identified for 2021/22. It was not an unusual position to be in at the current stage of the 2021/22 budget development. However, the Council had a good track record at meeting the challenge. Measures to meet the shortfall included an increase in commercial services.

 

A Member asked the following question: The sum of £100,000 has been set aside for additional pressures related to people experiencing homelessness. How was this figure arrived at? Members were told that the figures were developed by calculating a cost per night against a potential rise of those in temporary accommodation (based on an increasing rate on par with figures for the last year). The Councils had been undertaking a vibrant homelessness prevention scheme, had set up the opening doors scheme and engaged in the procurement of properties for the purpose of temporary accommodation.

 

A Member asked the following question: Agenda Page 71 says significant investment is planned for Brooklands Park. Is there an updated estimation at this stage of what the Council will contribute to this overall? Members were told that the Council had already provided funding within the capital programme for key elements of the improvements to Brooklands Park of £836,000 which included provision of new toilets, works to the outflow pipe and new play facilities. The developed design stage was in train and officers were working to specify an initial phase of deliverables. A report would be before the March meeting of the Joint Strategic Committee which would detail phases, the total cost and how the project would be funded.

 

A Member asked if the museum and theatre reserves would be given to the new theatres trust. The Committee was told that the Council still had obligations with regards to maintenance of Trust buildings and there was a programmed schedule of works accordingly.

 

A Member asked what was being referred to in the report concerning the capital programme and public conveniences. Members were told that amounts in the budget was for expenditure on facilities in brooklands and highdown. There were other programmes for improvement .

 

The committee debated the budget and resolved to recommend that  ...  view the full minutes text for item JOSC/66/19-20