Venue: Remote meeting via Zoom
Contact: Chris Cadman-Dando
Democratic Services Officer
01903 221364 Email: email@example.com
Declaration of Interests / Substitute Members
Members and officers must declare any disclosable pecuniary interests in relation to any business on the agenda. Declarations should also be made at any stage such an interest becomes apparent during the meeting.
If in doubt contact the Legal or Democratic Services representative for this meeting.
There were no declarations of interest
Public Question Time
To receive any questions from Members of the public in accordance with Standing Order 11.2
(Note: Public Question Time will operate for a maximum of 30 minutes.)
There were no questions from the public
To approve the minutes of the Licensing Committee meetings held on the 12 August 2021
Resolved: That the minutes of the meeting of the 12 August 2021 be approved as the correct record
Items Raised Under Urgency Provisions
To consider any items the Chairman of the meeting considers to be urgent
There were no urgent items
Licensing Act 2003 – Section 29 - Application for a Provisional Statement - Shoreham Beachbox PDF 173 KB
To consider a report by the Director for Communities, copy attached as item 5
Before the Committee was a report by the Director for Communities, a copy of which had been circulated to all members, a copy of which is attached to the signed copy of these minutes as item 5. The application had been the subject of formal representation by a responsible authority and members of the public and it therefore falls to the committee to determine.
Introduction of the report by the Senior Licensing Officer
The Senior Licensing Officer introduced the report to the Committee. Members were given a summary of the report, details of mediation between the applicant and the police and were advised of matters that could and couldn’t be considered by the Committee. The applicant confirmed that the Licensing Officer had given an accurate outline of the application.
Questions for the Senior Licensing Officer by Members of the Committee
The Senior Licensing Officer was asked questions about submissions by Responsible Authorities. Members were told that the only responsible authority to make a submission was the Police authority and that all Authorities were automatically sent copies of the application when it had been submitted.
In responding to a question the Senior Licensing Officer gave the Committee opening and sale hours of other local premises, although Members were told that the application should be considered on its own merits.
A Member asked about CCTV and condition/safety of a local car park and was told that this was not part of the licensable area or the responsibility of the licensee and was not relevant to the hearing taking place.
A Member asked if a representation about potential noise was relevant and was told that the Environmental Health department (responsible authority) had not made a representation on this and that they were the responsible authority regarding noise pollution.
Representation of the applicant
The applicant’s representative made the following representation which is summarised as follows:
· Member’s attention was pointed at documents provided by the applicant which included a statement and skeleton argument;
· It was contended that there had been significant attempts at mediation with local residents which included two Zoom meetings and an event on Shoreham Beach Green;
· The new facility would provide significant inward investment;
· The facility would provide a new community space;
· The applicant took nothing for granted;
· There had been extensive post application consultation;
· A number of conditions had been volunteered as a result of consultation;
· The key responsible authority in relation to public nuisance (Environmental Health) had not made a representation in relation to claims made by residents making representation;
· Concerns were not evidence of problems;
· Conditions added to the Planning Application were significant;
· A dispersal policy would need to be included at a later date which would be made available to responsible authorities;
· The licence would provide for CCTV, Training and Age verification;
The applicant made a representation as follows:
· In all the times the company had made applications there had never been such opposition, which was indicative that the application had not been handled in the best possible ... view the full minutes text for item ADC - LC/15/21-22