DECISIONS CAN BE IMPLEMENTED AT 5PM ON THE DAY THAT A CALL-IN EXPIRES. DECISIONS MAY BE ENACTED AFTER 5PM ON THE DAY PRIOR TO THE DATE INDICATED BELOW IN THE 'EFFECTIVE FROM' COLUMN
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Before the Committee was a report by the Assistant Director for People and change, copies of which had been circulated to all Members and a copy of which is attached to the signed copy of these minutes as Item 6.
The report before members gave an update on the activities and outcomes of Big Listen and the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) as part of the Council for the Community programme. It set out the key areas of learning from the two programmes and recommended principles for future participation work in Worthing. The report also proposed a participation programme for Worthing based on current levels of resourcing.
Members were told about the Big listen campaign and the large amount of feedback received. This information was about getting a real feel for what people wanted for the town and how the Council could respond to that as a partnership with our communities. As a result a young person's strategy had been developed and a number of projects were being embarked upon since.
The Deputy Leader introduced the report, Members were told that people in Worthing wanted more engagement and wanted to be more involved in decision making and the Stewardship of the town. There had been actions since the big listen to devolve some of the decision making including the awarding of CIL money. The following year the Council would need to scale up its participation infrastructure and give opportunities for people to become involved. Members were told that the Council worked better when in partnership with community groups and residents.
The Committee welcomed the report and lauded the work that had gone and were enthusiastic for the work moving forward.
1. The development of a participation programme for 2024/25 that closes the gap between participation, decision-making, delivery and communication and which includes a range of participation methods and formats, as detailed in paragraph 3.13.1. be approved
2. That participation resource be prioritised in developing the infrastructure we need internally to grow our participation capabilities as detailed in 3.13.2.
3. That a Council for the Community offer for how we support participation across Worthing as detailed in paragraph 3.13.3. Be developed
The committee noted a wider need to
1. Develop a participation multi-disciplinary team bringing together staff to better support participation, develop participatory decision making and help communities make a difference in their streets and spaces across Adur & Worthing Councils.
2. Digital tools for people have their say and match people up to increase social action.
3. Applied learning and development programme to enable residents, staff and partners to develop and share skills in place-based working and participation and apply them to practical challenges. This will improve the quality of how we do participation – including through improved hosting and facilitation skills and make better use of partner skills.
The call-in deadline for the decisions will be 5.00pm on 16 February 2024.
Publication date: 09/02/2024
Date of decision: 06/02/2024
Decided at meeting: 06/02/2024 - Joint Strategic Sub-Committee (Worthing)
Effective from: 17/02/2024